With the first race in the books, our 2020 race challenges are officially underway.
The contenders: All finishers of the 2020 Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Marathon, Half & Surf Sun Run 5K
The challenge: Complete three races in 2020.
The reward: Extra bling, pride, accomplishment, bragging rights, admiration, respect and a general reputation of being a badass!
Many may wonder why anyone would want to tackle these challenges, while others are hungry for any and every new opportunity to push themselves further. After you put in the time, effort and energy to train for a race, you probably don’t want to lose the great shape that you’ve reached. Committing to a race series offers ideal motivation to continue training and maintain your strength.
In a nutshell: Out and back courses, miles of ocean views (full/half marathon only), superior community support, ideal winter weather.
Read more and/or register for 2021.
In a nutshell: Point-to-point courses, miles of ocean views, hilly course, oceanfront finish festival, proceeds donated to charity.
Read more and/or register for 2020.
In a nutshell: Point-to-point half marathon course, waterfront course with misting stations throughout, scenic downtown/habor/bay views, iconic San Diego sights from beginning to end, third and final race of Triple Crown and SoCal 3×5 series.
Read more here (or here) and/or register for 2020.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the different race challenges offered through our events:
- Half Marathon Triple Crown: the original challenge, est. 2007. Complete the three half marathons in the same calendar year and receive an additional fourth champion’s medal at the third and final race.
- TRIPLE Triple Crown: a three year commitment! Complete three Triple Crowns in three consecutive years and receive ANOTHER champion’s medal at your ninth and final race (that’s 13 total medals!).
- SoCal 3×5: Complete the three 5Ks in the same calendar year and receive an additional fourth champion’s medal at the third and final race.
- SoCal 9×5 (new in 2020!): another three year commitment! Complete the SoCal 3×5 in three consecutive years and receive ANOTHER champion’s medal at your ninth and final race (13 total medals!).
- Kids Run Carlsbad series (new in 2020!): A two-race challenge for kids 12 & under. Those who complete the Kids Marathon Mile in January followed by the Junior Carlsbad in March will receive a third commemorative medal at the final race.
- Double Down Challenge: Run both the 5K followed by the half marathon at the Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Half Marathon and receive double bling, plus an additional challenger’s medal.
If you crossed the 2020 Carlsbad finish line, then we’ll see you at La Jolla!
If you missed the boat for 2020, there’s always next year! All race series kick off in January.
Remember: You’re capable of more than you think you are! Push yourself to conquer the crown 👍💪